Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cravings!

When talking about eating and pregnancy, a lot of people have asked me if I have found my one thing. I am amused by this question because every two weeks I feel like my cravings and aversions flip. There hasn't been one food that I can always turn to and makes me feel better every time (although that has been true about the man I married :).
I can't remember week by week what I craved/averted, but here it is broken down into trimesters.

First Trimester I loved:
  • Sour cream (no really, plain sour cream. Sometimes I was good and found a vehicle for it besides my spoon)
  • Sour punch straws
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Plums
  • Watermelon (my favorite thing in the WORLD at that time!)
  • Mangos
  • Apples
  • Ok, every fruit
  • Otter pops
  • Fruit roll ups and fruit by the foot
  • Fruit juice
  • Keebler club & cheddar crackers
  • Toasted mini bagels with sliced ham and cream cheese or mozzarella 
  • Berry colossal crunch (the cheap brand of Captain Crunch. I threw it up half the time but I wanted it so bad I didn't care)
  • Mini Wheats (also threw that up most of the time but it was so good!)
  • Special K (kept that down most of the time)
... and hated:
  • Toast and bread
  • Bananas (?)
  • Chocolate (???)
  • Michael's favorite deli sliced rotisserie chicken (the smell made me gag)
  • Beans
  • Rice
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Vegetables in general
  • Whatever I threw up at 2 am
  • Food in general on most days
Second Trimester loves:
  • Sourdough bread (pretty sure I ate an entire loaf by myself in one day. Ok, maybe one sitting...)
  •  MEAT!!!! ALL THE MEAT!
  • Potatoes
  • Bean and cheese freezer burritos
  • Hot pockets
  • Bananas (yay!)
  • Sweet corn
  • Carrot juice (what?)
  • Raisins! (something I hated my whole life)
  • Mandarin oranges
  • Life cereal
  • Hot chocolate
... and hates:
  • Keebler club and cheddar crackers
  • Berry Colossal Crunch
  • Walnuts (ate a bad one in the first trimester)
Third Trimester faves:
  • Chocolate!
  • Yogurt
  • Celery and peanut butter
  • Every form of toast (except burnt)
  • California blend of vegetables
  • EGGS! (I have at least one a day. Or else.)
  • Cottage cheese
  • Dried apricots
  • Pumpkin bread! (if only I had free time to bake some)
  • Cream of Wheat
 ... and not so great:
  • Starting to dislike cereal :(
  • Sour punch straws
  • Really sugary stuff
Now that I reflect I actually have had a "one thing" through it all... MILK! Sometimes I sit down at the table with the smallest cup in the house and take shots of milk. When Michael is around I'll slam the empty glass on the table and slur "another!"

Well, now you're probably hungry from thinking about food, so go enjoy a snack! :) Thanks for tuning in.

2 comments: